Finished Project - Aime Comme Marie Minute Top

I'm still trying to perfect my Colette Clover pants and needed a little simple pretty pick-me-up to keep my sewing mojo going. Despite it being absolutely frigid I am keen to make a few summery things for our New York honeymoon in July (a self made trousseau!). A few weeks ago I was down the rabbit hole, and found a little french pattern brand I had never seen before. I love french sewing blogs - I always find something different, chic and gorgeous!

This company, Aime Comme Marie, has quite a few sweet patterns - many are similar to what is available from other independent designers, but for 4 euros I thought the Aime Comme Marie Minute top was worth a go. I still had heaps of my beloved Scandi Forest lawn left over from my Colette Laurel peter pan blouse, and this time went with blue as a contrast so the pale print fabric wasn't too close to my pale little face! With the two-fabric option it's a great stash-buster - I used less than 30cm of the contrast electric blue silk-cotton.

So the nitty gritty.....
It is a very basic kimono sleeve top. The pattern is a PDF and gets emailed soon after purchase. The instructions are only in french, but with some basic sewing skills this is a very easy make. I understand a little french and with a little help from my Ultralingual French language iPhone app (or Google translator) it was very easy. There are a few options within the pattern - 2 contrast fabrics, one fabric and long or short sleeves. It also says it can be made in a woven or a knit. The pattern does not have seam allowances - it suggests adding 1cm (I think!) but I chose to add the standard 5/8 inch because I wanted to finish it with french seams. If you choose to do the top with 2 different fabrics don't forget to add seam allowances for the join!

2nd day of Winter. Freezing!

I made a size small, but probably should have graded up to a medium over the hips. I also added some extra length and was glad I did. The sizes are staggered all over the pattern, rather than being layered like more standard patterns, making tracing essential if you want to mix sizing. I bound the armholes and neckline in self made bias tape as recommended in the pattern.

The verdict - I'm happy with it, and love the colour-blocking effect but not sure I would make another one in a rush. I'm not sure why there is some pulling along the shoulder seam - it might be the weight on the fine cotton-silk. The lawn is quite fine - I think anything heavier would not sit well at all. It will definitely be coming to NY in the suitcase though!

I did also buy their Must Have tee too (also 4 euros) - a raglan sleeve woven tee pattern with a bust dart. I've other things ahead of this in my list but might whip one up before I go away.....


  1. This looks great! And I'm so glad you posted this - I saw a very similar top on Pinterest I want to make (AND have fabric for), but have been putting it off because I haven't had the time or energy to try and draft a pattern. I hadn't even heard of this company before... Will have to Google immediately, thanks!

    1. Thanks Danielle - yes don't be it off by it being in French - very easy! Look forward to seeing yours!


Post a comment