Finished - A nautical Nettie

I've done something a bit out of the ordinary. I've fallen victim to the influence of the collective sewing hive mind and made myself up a pattern that is brand spanking new! Instead of sitting back for months and letting all the cool kids have some fun, I'm actually ON TREND and am the proud owner of a cute little Nettie bodysuit.



I think Heather-Lou over at Closet Case Files has some sort of voodoo power as I had zero wish/want/need for a bodysuit until she released her fab pattern - but when she started posting some gorgeous inspiration shots of beautiful scooped backs and full skirts I was sucked in utterly and completely. Such as this:

Sourced from here

Being a teenager chubby of abdomen and with a mum that didn't like her teenager in skin-tight clothes the 90's bodysuit wave passed me by. This time around I'm a little trimmer and keen to give this leotard malarky a go. I was keen not only to try the lovely scooped back version and pretend I lived in Paris, but was very excited by the idea of the permatuck aspect of the bodysuit.



There are about a million different official variations and combinations for this pattern - 2 front options, 3 back options, 3 sleeve lengths, and a dress. And I've seen some lovely hacks around the inter webs too - maxi dresses, frankenpatterns (check out Jana's gorgeous Day to Night/Nettie frankenpattern), swimwear! So versatile! I went with the 3/4 sleeves, scoop front and the mid scoop back bodysuit. My fabric is a rather thin and cheap but super stretchy stripe printed cotton-lycra blend - perfect as a wearable toile. Future versions I think will be in solid colours - black and a marle grey would look great. And a better quality stripe of course.



I intend to only wear my Netties with high waisted skirts or trousers. I did try it with jeans and it wasn't an awesome look for me. If I had highwaisted jeans it would probably look better, but I really need my muffin top tucked into something sturdy (like a waistband!) if I'm to wear a top this tight.

So, the pattern. It's great. Not too many pages, well tiled etc etc. I went with a size 6 I think, 3/4 sleeves, scooped front and mid scooped back. I took Heather's advice regarding narrowing the width of the scoop opening to reduce the chance of brastraps being visible. I narrowed the neckline opening by about 5mm all around and shorted the binding piece accordingly. The method of my narrowing was extremely untechnical - I took a fat highlighter pen, with a nib about 5mm wide, and traced the width of the nib around the whole neckline at the smallest size, then cut it out. The neckline came together very well - one of my best ever I think. I topstiched the neckline with my twin needle and learned that my twin needle hates clear elastic with a passion. I just did a zigzag stitch to whip this version up but I think in the future using a lightning stitch would be more prudent with the extra vertical stretch required of the garment (I already popped a seam once yanking a bit too hard whilst having a minor tanty about the crotch closure - see below).

I love how the back turned out - it just covers my bra straps (and this bra has pretty chunky straps) and stays up on my shoulders. It's very cold having this much back exposed! But I love the look, it feels like a very elegant way to expose some skin. The higher back neckline would be warmer of course, and make a great basic layering piece.



The only part of this make that didn't turn out fabulously was the crotch snap closure. Mine is a bit wide and bulky and lacks........ finesse. And if there is any part of a garment that doesn't need bulk but does need finesse it is le crotch. I ended up needing to shorten it a little (it's highly probable that I misunderstood the instructions and extended it initally - can't be sure!) and it is a bit wide, so I will address this in future versions by using a bigger seam allowance when binding the legs. I tried to cheat and used snaps on tape but could only get 2 snaps on so next time will use individual snaps. I'm also thinking in future versions I will bind the legs with stretch lace - all of my fave undies have this method which is comfy and avoids VPL.

This is such a well drafted pattern. It's great to see a truly unique pattern being released. I'm highly impressed that despite the fairly low front scoop there's very little boobage on show when one leans over to do a bend and snap - proof below! Opinions please. Are you keen to rock the 'tard?





Comments

  1. Adorable! I love the stripes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jenny - I have an unhealthy addiction to stripes!

      Delete
  2. I wasn't, but the more and more I see, the more it appeals. I might give it a go at some point. But for me, it would be with high waisted styles only!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same! To be honest most of the time that I tuck tops in is with high waisted styles anyway so it's a pretty perfect solution! I'll also be keen to make a slightly less snug tank hank for summer, without the bottom of the bodysuit!

      Delete
  3. Yay for the Nettie! My initial reaction was exactly the same as yours and I never make on-trend patterns either, but this time I did and I’m delighted with my two versions so far! (:
    They do look better with high-waisted bottoms. Even my boyfriend said so, without my asking him about this. (And I’m told most guys don’t like high-waisted bottoms on ladies.)
    I had issues with the crotch lining piece on my first version as well, somehow it was too big. I just folded it in some more and it worked like that. For my second version, I made the bottom of the front and back pieces wider to match the crotch lining piece. I’ve written to Heather to ask about this, but she hasn’t replied yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just re-read the instructions and realised I missed the part where the lining is recommended to be out of a woven not the knit fabric of the garment! Stupid women that I am - would explain the bullkiness of my first attempt. But I'll still need to narrow the whole width of that section down I think!

      Delete
  4. This looks fabulous on you Sarah! I must admit to totally living the 90's bodysuit and fear going back. I feel the same way about one piece swimsuits - I'm long bodied and that does not make for a great crotch comfort in le old bodysuit. But you are certainly making me think twice, at least with this I have full control of the body length. I really like how you've styled it and that neckline, front and back, is very chic. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks mate! They say if you wore it the first time around you should leave it the second time, but I say nuts to that! You'd look awesome in the scoop and it's easily altered for those long of torso!

      Delete
  5. Your Nettie looks great! This is such a terrific pattern, I've made a few too. I love it :)
    (pretty please, could you disable word verification?? it's not fun :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn, yours were awesome - I wasn't brave enough to model the whole thing though! Have disabled the verification for you - ugh it's such a drag isn't it.

      Delete
  6. It looks like such a great layering piece. I'm keen to try but then not quite ready to jump on the bandwagon just yet. The bend & snap! I gotta watch that movie again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the bend and snap - such a great movie moment! If anything else this pattern would make a great extra long tee, if the idea of an adult onesie is too much for you! :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much - very sweet of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The more I see this pattern the more I'm rethinking my initial "not for me" response... Yours looks great - I love the scoop back. I can definitely see that working with a full skirt...Oh, and I was being so disciplined with pattern-buying, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment