|The Tilster - on my pattern, on my ironed fabric, next to the 60 euro cat bed she refuses to sleep in.....|
- Divine Liberty wool-cotton blend from my stash, present to self last birthday - this fabric is awesome - texture, quality, print - it rocks. From a distance it looks like a little floral but up close is (to paraphrase my brother when he saw it) very Jackson Pollock - the spatter design is a gorgeous combination of black, purple, blue and neon pink-orange. The neckline is bound in a black cotton-silk left over from the stash.
- Version ...... can't remember - dress, with bell cuffs on sleeves, no pockets or other embellishments. I love the cuffs. LOVE them.
- Lined in a cream and pale blue slinky stripy rayon (I think - it didn't smell like polyester when I set fire to it) from the stash. The lining was actually my very very first muslin - pat on the back for forward thinking Sarah!
- Seams and hem bound in a lovely purple rayon hem tape that I found on Ebay - I've not been able to get this anywhere in Australia, and ended up getting 3 rolls from a NY based seller for about $35 posted. If anyone is interested I can find the link for you....
- Alterations - left the zip out - was able to shimmy in and out of it ok, bust darts moved as per my previous version.
- I am really REALLY happy with my sleeve setting. I think I have hit upon the winning combination of techniques (for me at least) - 1 row of gathering stitches, NOT extra long, but a normal 2.5mm length with the top tension reduced right down - the right side of the fabric has the top thread and the wrong side has the bobbin thread. I then gathered the bobbin thread to ease it all up, pinned and hand basted (hand basting is TOTALLY the secret of a good sleeve insertion) then sewed those bad boys in. I also gave it all a good steam before sewing it in - apparently this can shrink it a bit but who knows if that worked. All I know is they are totally awesome.
- Finished length - short short short! Because it's not super fitted and I will never be wearing this without leggings or tights I went with a nice mini length.
Excuse the selfie - I had no photographer this morning and it was a gorgeous Autumn day here in Melbourne, such beautiful morning light. I wore it all day and out for dinner too - toasty warm and tres chic!
|Dress in action today - credit for photo goes to my mum. Mmmm Haighs chocolate|