Finished - the snazzy sweater - New Look 6314

A nice simple one to share today....



Last year I was in need of a simple windcheater or sweatshirt (depending on what part of the world you are from). I had the Linden, but I'd tried on a couple of Anna's and the raglan just wasn't doing it for me. I thought about a couple of the other indies but I was uncharacteristically feeling a bit of a tightwad and had some issues dropping the cash on such a basic garment. I must have been at Spotty and found New Look 6314 - a very simple boxy slightly dropped shoulder top for sweater knits, with a slightly wide round neckline, a couple of sleeve and body lengths, and a circle skirt inexplicably thrown in (presumably to make the perfect capsule wardrobe). 





I made my first version in a lovely striped french terry from the Drapery, and have worn it a heap. I am however very disorganised and have no pics to share with you. You'll have to trust that it's a winner, because here is version 2! I can't remember the exact sizing I used, but I know it spans three, to cater for my hips, and I suspect the length is somewhere between the two different views. 


The main fabric is a faaaabulous cotton quilted knit from the Fabric Store. I managed to get this out of about a metre (it was the end of the roll) by cutting it all flat and sacrificing full length sleeves (the pattern actually calls for cuffs but I wanted a less sporty look). The fabric doesn't have much recovery or stretch (say what you will about Big 4 patterns, but that stretch fabric guide on the pattern package is actually terrifically useful!) so I used some cotton/poly ribbing from Darn Cheap Fabrics for the neckband.


Oh my was that ribbing garbage. SUCH shit. It stretched out and had absolutely no recovery whatsoever - the neckline ended up being 2 inches wider than my striped version and so gapey. I'd overlocked it on of course, and was devastated. I gritted my teeth and unpicked the overlocking AND the basting, managed to only create one hole, and redid the band with a little piece of black ponte from the Cloth Shop. So much better. It is a smidge wider than drafted due to losing a little of the neckline seam allowance but I'm very happy with the finish. So do ensure your neckband has a nice amount of both stretch AND recovery for a happy ending on this pattern.





I've worn this a heap already - it's toasty, layers well and the fabric design adds the perfect little bit of interest to snazz it up beyond a basic black windcheater.  I suspect I'll be wearing this until it disintegrates off my body.










Comments