Finished - a scant Simplicity 1366

I know what you're thinking. Will this chick EVER so anything non-stretch? Turns out in the colder months the answer is likely not! My warm weather sewing is overwhelmingly wovens and cold weather sewing means knits. But I realised I hadn't yet blogged a project from early Autumn so you get some out of season action today.

Today I share with you a pattern that is OMG totally new and exciting and ground breaking! Or not. It's Simplicity 1366 and being the TOTAL trendsetter that I am, I've finally made it. Just.




It is a very simple top - no darts, dropped shoulders and quite cropped. I made a size 10, having tried on Anna's, and added some extra length. I was very cross with myself though, not having quite enough of this lovely printed cotton voile from The Fabric Store to make it as long as I'd like. I even bought it on sale, and still was a tightwad, just buying a metre (and being The Fabric Store, there was definitely not a cm extra....). I managed to preserve some length by making a bias hem facing.


I was delighted to discover I could make this 100% french seamed, including the armscye seam, which I did flat. Mmmmm such tidiness.




There's not much more to say about this little top. I didn't do a forward shoulder adjustment because I'd cut the paper pattern out last year before I knew such things were needed, but I think I will do a small one with future iterations (despite recently starting some Pilates classes to improve my posture, thanks Jillian for the kickstart I needed!).


I think next time I'll also draft a facing - I think a top stitched facing is such a nice feature on a simple top. The bias just looks a little..... not cheap, but a bit less pro....


It's a great little pattern for showcasing a really nice fabric. I'd be interested in seeing how it looked sans sleeves too. There'll be more of these at Chez Tragic come spring.

(photography by the eternally fabulous Blogless Anna Photography Service)

Comments