Finished - Monet On Acid Charlotte skirt

This has been finished for ages, since before our honeymoon, but it's taken me forever to get some decent pics of it. This is my second version of the By Hand London Charlotte pencil skirt, my first denim version blogged here.





Version Deux is made from a fairly light stretch cotton, from Darn Cheap Fabrics. I originally planned to make it into capri pants, but didn't buy enough. It's from the same range as my crazy floral Clover pants. Its the most fabulous acid bright floral, and makes me think it is what Monet would have painted if he was on LSD! I always intended this to be a summer skirt, so I didn't line it. The fabric has a lot more stretch than my denim skirt, but still rides up a little across the hips - I think this is just what pencil skirts do. In my pics I am wearing a full slip as it was sticking to my stockings terribly, but is still a bit wrinkly - I think this one is definitely for warmer weather, to be worn over bare legs!

 

 Like my first version I made the darts a little longer, I can't remember if I took the hips in or not. I also added a kick pleat again, this time making sure it was a lot higher, and I took a significant amount of length off (but can't remember - a good 15cm I think). I used an invisible zip and cut the back on the fold (the part on the fold is the centre of the kick pleat - the tutorial I use for a kick pleat is this one - its fab) and before I installed the zip I finished the edges of the fabric in seam tape so it looks super tidy, making sure to mark my seam allowance first in case I took up some seam allowance with my binding. I was going to bind the side seams in seam tape, but ended up just folding the seam allowance under and top stitching which was surprisingly easy and looks great. I think this will be my last Charlotte for a while. I'm not convinced the fit is perfect for me - I have an UFO princess seam Burdastyle pencil skirt buried deep in my ironing/refashion/UFO basket that I must drag out and muck around with again....


Seam for zip insertion finished with hem tape before inserting zip - blue line is seam allowance to keep me on track.


I adore this print, and I think I have just enough left over for some shorts - bring on Summer!



Comments

  1. Oh, I just LOVE this! That print is amazing, and shorts would look fantastic. Right, enough procrastinating - I need to buy this pattern ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! I think it would suit you very much! I can't wait to wear it in warm weather!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful print and the fit is perfect too.
    I made a pencil skirt last month (Simplicity 2154, blog link: http://carolinejoynson.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/ufo-busting-simplicity-2154-pencil-skirt.html)

    I had the same issues as your first Charlotte that you made in denim - that is was too wide over the hips / thigh area. After seeing both your versions of the Charlotte I think I will invest in a few By Hand London patterns :) Everybody is raving about the maxi dress Anna right now - I not a massive fan of maxi dresses so I'm still undecided, but the Charlotte looks like a winner to me.

    I love your blog, I just found it via a link on Flickr. Congratulations on getting married and I hope you enjoy the coming Spring months ahead. We are just getting to the end of the most lovely summer we have had in ages in London and its back to school for me next week (I'm an art teacher) : )
    All the best with your blog, I will be popping back to see what you make next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline, what lovely comments you've left me! Thanks so much - I've popped over and said hi too! Ive got to be honest and say the Anna doesn't float my boat as much as their other patterns. It's just not my thing. I do really want to try the Sewaholic Salt spring maxi and I'm stalking my fabric at my local store - my birthday is coming up so I think I will put in a request for that pattern! Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. that fabric is amazing. i have the pattern and am planning to make it up soon too. yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelli! Thanks for coming by! I look forward to seeing your Charlotte - your makes are always fantastic - that leather bag was just beyond fabulous!

      Delete
  4. Big fabric envy! What a beautiful skirt!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment